Monday, June 3, 2013

Yogurt and strangers

Believe it or not, I have received more than just "offensive" comments. I have had some compliments, and thought I need to document these conversations as well. 

I was walking in the yogurt section at Kroger tonight and a women turns around to move her cart out of the way. She spots my belly, locks on to it, and our conversation went something like this:

Stranger: You're going to have a baby
Me: Yes, I am (thinking - oh really? What gave it away? Thanks for reminding me!)
Stranger: When are you due?
Me: July 31
Stranger: Stands there, and looks me over. I'm thinking oh please tell me how big I am, how hot I'm going to be this summer, how miserable summer pregnancies are, and how tired I look. I'm really feeling great, so please, tell me something awful. You're going to have a girl.
Me: (Relieved at the comment) Yes, I am! How did you know?
Stranger: You'd me more round with a boy (apparently my belly is long and misshaped? Not sure what she was getting at, oh well. She was not being mean)
Me: Oh, interesting
Our conversation went on a little while about how she could tell it was a girl, and how she was done having children after her 4th child. So I started to walk away and she said...
Stranger: You're going to be a good mom
Me: Aw, thanks! I sure hope so!
Stranger: You will. Are you going to breastfeed?
Me: That's the plan!
Stranger: (Thumbs up) good! You'll be a great mom. Just make sure you switch sides and postions often otherwise your nipples will get sore. (OK weirdo. Thanks for the tip)
Me: Oh, right. Thanks, yeah I've been reading books and asking girlfriends for advice.
Stranger: Yep, read all the books you can and talk to everyone you know.
Me: Thanks (walk away happy that she thought so highly of me at a glance and amused that she gave me breastfeeding tips.)

I guess I should start preparing myself to talk to anyone, anywhere, about sore nipples. Even when picking up yogurt.

1 comment: