Monday, May 6, 2013

Doctor Visit - Glucose Test

Today I had the dreadful glucose test. And I have to say it wasn't nearly as awful as people say it is. I avoided sweets (yeah, I know - shocking!) all day yesterday and today. That was until we went to our breast feeding class and I had 2 mini milky ways!

Anyway, this is what happened:

1. Checked in
2. Went downstairs to the lab
3. Drank the sugary syrupy drink. I chose orange, which I hear is the best option. It tasted like one of those popsicles in a plastic tube, before you freeze it. The texture was a little thicker, but the bottle is so little that I was able to down the drink in 2 minutes. I was allowed 5 - go me!
4. I went upstairs and had my normal check up
5. Check BP, weight, and urine sample
6. Wait on Doctor
7. Talk to doctor, and listen to heart beat
8. Schedule my next appointment. I'm now down to 2 weeks away!
9. Went back downstairs and had my blood drawn.
10. Went home

Note to self in the future - About 15 minutes after the drink I felt very sleepy. The doctor said that is normal because of the sugar crash. She normally recommends people bring a snack, especially if you have to take the 3 hour test. Only because you have more sugar and a longer fast. I wish I knew that ahead of time and came prepared with a granola bar. As soon as I got home I had half a peanut butter sandwich and felt much better.

The doctor says that everything is looking really good. She's very happy with my BP, weight gain, no bladder infection (YAY - I love you gluten), and babe's heart beat.

We'll see by Wednesday if I'm at risk for gestational diabetes or not.

Fingers crossed!

No comments:

Post a Comment